Our school delivers the New Zealand curriculum through the local curriculum of the Primary Years Programme (PYP) and also the Montessori curriculum for our Montessori students.
At the heart of the PYP, is a commitment to structured inquiry as the leading vehicle for learning. This learning is fostered through authentic and meaningful links across the curriculum and through a child centered, and interactive environment. PYP emphasises collaborative inquiry, encourages curiosity, voice and contribution of the students.
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Social Science
- Health & Physical Education
- The Arts
- Learning Languages
- Understanding language, symbols and texts
- Relating to others
- Managing self
- Participating & contributing
The NZ curriculum identifies the following values as part of the curriculum:
- Innovation, inquiry and curiosity
- Community and participation
- Ecological sustainability
- Learner Profile (attributes)
- Approaches to Learning (skills)
- Taking Action
Ways we support our International Students
- International students are placed in classrooms with NZ children of a similar age.
- International Students from years 3-8 have additional English homework. They will take home 5 reading books a day Monday to Thursday.
- International students have a NZ buddy in their classroom and also a buddy in their own language within the school.
- All International students receive an introduction kit with a map of the school, essential vocabulary in their own language, and a copy of the school rules in their own language.
- All International students receive a certificate showing the course they were studying.
- International students who attend our school receive a school report showing their progress and achievement.
- International students who attend our school for longer than a term receive four extra ESOL lessons a week in a small group.
- International students can hire our school uniform if they are staying at our school for less than a term.
- Our students are encouraged to play with our International students at play time and lunch time.
- International students who stay at our school for longer than a term meet with our support staff and are helped to write to a parent or relation each week in their home country.
- Students are supported in excellent home stay situations either with Mother and child staying together or with a student being home stayed with a NZ family.
- Our International Student Manager and ESOL teacher support the International students in their learning and also with pastoral care.
- International students are carefully placed in supportive classrooms with only 1 o 2 other students form their own home country.
- International students are welcomed with a tour of the school, provided with uniform and stationery that they have paid for.
- Specialist teachers and classroom teachers assess each child when they arrive in NZ in reading and writing.
- Students can attend the OSCAR holiday programme in school holidays (link to OSCAR www.oscars.co.nz).
Strengths of Glendowie School
- Academic excellence with 92-93% of our students “at” or “above” the National Standards in reading writing and Mathematics.
- Teaches the IB programme, PYP since 2004.
- After School and holiday programme operating at our school.
- Montessori Unit which teaches Montessori and the IB programme (PYP).
- Modern learning Environment with all classrooms having been built between 2009-2013.
- High decile school with committed staff and parents.
- Highly successful Government reviews (ERO) achieving the highest category group by the evaluators and confirmed in successive visits.
- Low class numbers with the average class being 24 students.
- International students able to attend short and long term courses (minimum stay approximately 4 weeks).
- Accommodation support for homestays, parent and child homestays, and support with acquiring rental accommodation.
- Caring and safe environment.
- Proximity to the Central business district (15 minutes by car).